In the song, “Little Dreams” by Ellie Goulding, it
shares the message of remembrance. I think what Ellie Goulding is trying to
show is how powerful our mind can be. It can take over our actions and make us
oblivious from the reality. I think this song kind of illustrates the story of
a girl who is remembering the guy that left her that she is still in love with
and it hurts to face the reality he is gone, so it’s easier to daze off into
the memories. There’s a line that says, “You've got me caught
in a place/Panic for a minute/Got my brain in a daze/I wish you weren't in it/There
are so many ways/To lose your attention” I think this verse sort of shows the
longing for the moment, but knows its wrong. the girl wants to move on, but she
can’t. a lot of the song also portrays the message of past experiences taking
over our emotional state. For example one verse it says, “If the streetlight
smashed above me/I wouldn't move an inch/Turn the glass into stars/And your
face is the moon/And the night turns to you/'Cause my mind is on you” this is
towards the beginning of the song and shows the weakness this girl faces. She
has startling dreams, but they always turn to him. This is like symbolizing
instead of facing the pain, she pretends. Then at the end of the chorus she
says, “You can break everything but so what?/I can take anything.” This shows
the strength that she is rebuilding. Then my favorite part of the song comes.
She tries to sort of convince herself that she is over him. But the last chorus
she says again how her mind is always on him. This song reminds me of her
mental thought process.
This song is so true.
It doesn’t even have to be in the sense of losing a lover or something, but
just how denial makes things worse. Its shows the pain in wanting something to
be over, or wanting to be strong but always falling apart at the end. There’s a
part of the song where she says, “There are so many ways/ To lose your
attention” I think this line is really depressing. It sort of says, I can’t get
you out of my head, and you don’t really care or remember me. It reminds me of
a scenario of being left behind. Leaving something that was special to you is a
really hard thing to face, but having the other person not care while you are
dying of loneliness is the worst feeling in the world.
a lot of people can’t
admit that they aren’t over something. I think this is definitely something
that is really hard to let go of. Part of the problem is facing reality,
because it’s so much easier to just
pretend it’s not happening or be in denial. Listening to this song really shows
that it’s okay to be taken over by grief or emotional breakdowns, but there is
a way out. When she says, “You’re the heat in my bones/ but you beat me with
stones.” This line is my favorite. This line shows betrayal and cruelness and
cold hearted people but it also shows that there is no way to stop that. There
is no way to make them come back, to love you again, to be your friend again.
I think that you really are right. There comes a times when everything comes to an end, and as hard as you try it won't stay. Pretending you still have something is just you hurting yourself harder when it finally hits you - however amazing it used to be, its gone and not coming back. Healing takes time but it just takes longer the longer you hold out. Also, as you said with the line "you beat me with stones" I don't know the song very well but I know that as hard as it seems the person isn't trying to in most cases. GREAT POST <3
ReplyDelete