I am currently reading “Looking For Alaska” by John Green.
While I was reading I came across a quote that really stuck out to me. “You
spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape
it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that the future keeps
going, but you never do it. You use the future to escape the present.” This is
said by Alaska who is a girl at the boarding school that becomes friends with
Miles. Miles is the protagonist and he comes from small town in Florida and
comes to the boarding school in a hope of finding friends. He becomes friends
with “The Colonel” and Alaska, and abuses his rules of no smoking, drinking
etc. Alaska I think is a very interesting character and there is a lot of
un-known about her, but I think she is a very smart person from all the
experiences that she has gone through. When Alaska said this to Miles, it made
me think about her as a person, and myself and how I can connect to this quote.
It also made me able to understand what I’m dealing with a lot more and have a
different view on things.
Alaska seems like a troublemaker and a person who is
shallow, but learning more about her makes you realize how interesting of a
character she really is. One thing that Alaska loves is books. Her room is full
of books that she calls her Life’s Library. She refers to the Labyrinth, and
Miles is confused, but at the same time interested at what it means. When
Alaska says this quote, I realized that the labyrinth is her, she compares her
personal life as a labyrinth. When I had this realization, a lot of things made
sense to me. I understood why she was at the boarding school. I think she came
here for an escape, but when she came she realized that she was still stuck in
the maze. I think this was a point of realization for Alaska, and she realized
that distance won’t determine if you have escaped the labyrinth, what will is
how you work toward your goal in life and how you achieve that.
In the next part of the quote, Alaska refers to having a dream
and waiting for it to come true. I think that this part of the quote is really
though provoking. I think that what this quote means is that everyone has a
dream, but a lot of times you wait for it to come true. And I think this is
something that everyone can relate to and I think this is really smart. My
favorite part of the whole quote is when Alaska says, “Imagining the future
keeps on going. Using the future to escape the present.” I think that this
really illustrates how many people imagine the future, but don’t realize they
are living it, and one day you will realize that everything you thought was
going to happen didn’t because you waited too long, and you used the future as
an escape from the present. You always counted on the future instead of living
the moment.
I can connect to this quote in so many ways. This quote is
literally my life. Of course I have dreams of being someone that people will
remember and big “superstar” dreams. And then you just give yourself a reality
check, and say, wait everyone has a dream like you why you? And you just loose
hope. I think that is the labyrinth in my life. I think another part of the
labyrinth in my life is the problems and confusion that every teen faces
sometime. I think that growing up is really hard, and dealing with your parents
and family and friends and trying to keep good grades and also at the end of
the day trying to find a way to help yourself is a lot to deal with. But at the
same time, you have to accept that you have problems in your life and you can’t
us excuses such as the future to escape your present.
I think that everyone has a labyrinth in their life and
everyone has a issue that holds them back from something. I think that understanding
that and accepting that makes someone a stronger person.
Hi! I read this book last year and loved it!!! I think that it's really cool that she is a badass, rebellious teenage girl, but she loves philosophers and deep quotes and books.It shows that she's actually worth listening to. And about the labyrinth, she was stuck in a world that was not ideal and there was no way out. When she might have committed suicide, it was probably because of this. REALLY good post!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteHey Mar! So as you know, I read this book over the summer. I think that i found this really important, because again as you know, the idea of using the future to escape the present is something I can really connect to. I thought that in addition, although on the outside it seems like most people have nothing in common with Alaska, who is a rebellious teenage girl, but i think that on the inside, Alaska is a lost girl trying to find her way in the world which really everyone can relate to. Great post :)
ReplyDeleteHey Mary!! Nice post :) I haven't read this book but it sounds really good. I can relate to this in my life because I always have had dreams like being a superstar, etc. I think that sometimes we have to do a reality check and think about whether our big dream is really what we want. If it is, I think that we need to start working on it! Lately I've been rethinking being a famous singer/actress, etc. I don't think it's really who I want to be. :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I was little, I used to dream of being famous and acting and being in movies... all that stuff. I told myself that when I was a teenager, I'd definitely be a star. But now, I realize that your dreams are always pushed back without knowing it. You can dream all you want but so many people don't work towards it. You just use it to escape what's going on right now, but you know this really far down.
ReplyDeleteyeah (maddy) 'cause like it kind of goes to the theme of don't judge a book by its cover because many people think that alaksa is a "badass" girl but really she is lost and hurt and stuck and confused. i think this makes the most interesting characters. :)
ReplyDeleteOk so I just started this book and it also makes me understand who I am on a much deeper level. I agree that everyone, at some point in their life has personal issues that sometimes they can't see by themselves...and these hold them back from enjoying other moments in their life. Also, you mentioned that accepting the problems in your present life makes you a stronger person. I think that in this example Alaska was willing to accept that....but this make me wonder how different she would be if she never did accept. If you don't accept the issues in your life and try to reach farther to make them better, will you ever realize the box you have been suffocating yourself in??
ReplyDeleteFirst off I want to say that this is actually like my favourite book ever and I related with it so much. I have kind of an obsession with the future, and living life for tomorrow that sometimes I kind of hide from the present. This book showed me that's really important to live in the present- enjoy the labyrinth instead of trying to find a way out. I really liked how you did your response on one line, and it still had a great conversation topic.
ReplyDelete